Friday, February 18, 2005

Remembering those who have left us


All men shall learn as days pass by
They must not cling to what has gone;
They should not grieve for what must die,
Some part of life shall linger on
Some part of those we love will stay to comfort us.

Thinking particularly of Lola Kammer Zimmerman, 1919-2004, my dear mother-in-law, who died a year ago today. But also my own mother, Lola McBee Cowan, 1928-2001, and my beloved cousin Carol Grunke Lauer, 1954-2003, Colin's mom. I know that Bob misses his father, and I miss my grandpa, too. Thank goodness for Bob, Colin, my children, my sister and her family, and my own dad.


If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in. - Rachel Carson

No comments: