Tuesday, February 01, 2005

How are souls made?


Vale of soul making

How are souls made? ...How but by the medium of a world like this... I can scarcely express what I can but dimly perceive [but] I will put it in the most homely form possible. I will call the world a school instituted for the purpose of teaching little children to read. I will call the human heart the hornbook used in that school. And I will call the child able to read, the soul made from that school and its hornbook. Do you see how necessary a world of pains and trouble is to school an intelligence and make it a soul? A place where the heart must feel and suffer in a thousand diverse ways. - John Keats, 1795-1821

Thanks to Paul Herrick for revealing this quote in his article about the tsunami: http://www.philosophynews.com/common/textharness.aspx?pid=tsunami_theodicy

No comments: