Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books


The Outlander Series is five books so far:

Outlander - was gripping. I got a lot less sleep than I should have, because I couldn't close the book! I really loved Claire and Jamie, and was completely gripped by the troubles they met and triumphed over, with such style! 850 pages (paperback). It's set in the Highlands of Scotland, near where my McPhails, Macphersons and MacQueens came from, and straddles the world of post-war Britain and 18th-century Scotland. Sex, romance, fantasy, history, heroic deeds AND genealogy -- what's not to like? It was even better than I hoped.

Dragonfly in Amber - another sleep-thief. Bookended by Clair's situation between her return to the 40s, and the present (60s). The rest is Clair and Jamie in France, playing a very dangerous game. We meet Bree (Brianna) and Roger, the adopted son of the Rev. Mr. Reginald Wakefield, Frank's friend and fellow researcher. Of course, the plot thickens!

Voyager

Drums of Autumn

The Fiery Cross

These books were recommended on Scottish genealogy lists, because of the genealogy thread that runs through them all, and the basis in historical reality. The genealogy of the major characters is a major plot device, but even if you are not fascinated by this window on the past, you will love the writing, the characters, the plotting, the pacing. Top-notch.

While waiting for Voyager to arrive, I checked out Lord John and the Private Matter out of the library. Based on a minor character from the Outlander series, it is *delightful*. I didn't pick up on the fact that Lord John is gay, and the plot of the mystery involves the gay -- and hidden -- London of the 1750s, during the Seven Years War. I swear Diana Gabaldon read the Dave Brandstetter novels! Lord John is a very similar character, and conducts his investigation in much the same way. I would want Lord John and Dave on my side if I had a "private matter" to clear up. :-)


Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted, the indifference of those who should have known better, and the silence of the voice of justice, when it mattered most, that has made it possible for evil to triumph in society. - Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethopia

No comments: